Among the most tragic motor vehicle crashes Coluccio Law handles involve commercial trucks. Weighing as much as 80,000 pounds fully loaded, these trucks are twenty times heavier than an average passenger car. When a car and large truck collide at a high speed, the impact people experience is significant. The likelihood of serious injury or death is a direct result of the magnitude of this force.
Commercial Truck Crashes differ from other Automobile Accidents.
- The severity of injuries often leads to extensive medical care and expenses. Victims are often hospitalized and convalesce for a longer amount of time than if their injuries were related to a car crash. Often they are unable to return to work for an extended period of time, if at all. The catastrophic consequences can be life-changing and sometimes fatal.
- Often there can be multiple parties at fault including the truck driver, the trucking company, the truck manufacturer, the company responsible for the cargo or maintenance on the truck. Investigating the accident and determining the various parties can be more complicated.
- Given the weight and overall size of a large commercial truck, the impact of a truck collision often generates more property damage than would occur in a crash involving small vehicles, such as a car. The amount of adjacent property affected is larger.
- Truck insurance policies differ from automobile insurance. Truck policy coverage is more complex. In some instances, policy limits are larger. Insurance adjusters will aggressively act to find truck companies are not at fault.
Truck Crashes commonly happen for one of several reasons.
- Behaviors such as speeding, distracted driving, driving recklessly or operating a truck under the influence of drugs or alcohol contribute to the occurrence of truck crashes. While not unique to truck drivers, driver distraction, negligence or error become especially dangerous given a truck’s sizable loads and the potential consequences of impact at high speeds.
- Strict rules and regulations define proper cargo loads. Cargo overloading occurs when trucks are overweight or cargo is distributed incorrectly. As a result, tires, brakes, and other major components can be negatively impacted, or the truck’s contents can off-load on the road.
- Trucks travel many miles each day and need to be maintained to operate in a safe manner. When upkeep and repairs do not happen, trucks can become dangerous. Daily vehicle inspections of equipment like side mirrors, steering system, brakes, tires, and headlights play a part in road safety. Inadequate maintenance frequently causes crashes to happen.
- Crashes that are attributed to defects and mechanical failures may be the driver’s fault or possibly the fault of a trucking company or manufacturer. An experienced commercial truck accident lawyer will be able to determine which entities are liable for the crash.
A Commercial Truck Accident Attorney can build a Compelling Case by Proving Liability.
- As a truck crash law firm, Coluccio Law is skilled at handling all aspects of a commercial truck case. We understand the many federal and state laws and regulations at play in governing health and safety, driving time and hours of service (HOS), as well as vehicle maintenance, inspection, and repair requirements. Along with obtaining accident reports and eyewitness statements, our experts do an early and thorough investigation of the crash scene to collect critical evidence. We use experts skilled in accident reconstruction, medical and vocational assessment, and economic damages.
- To prove that the crash resulted from negligence or error, we work to establish the truck driver’s duty of care and how a breach of that duty prompted the victim’s injuries and associated damages.
- The compensation that you can expect to receive is for economic and non-economic damages. Economic damages costs such as current and future medical expenses as well as loss of wages and earning capacity. Non-economic damages include compensation for intangible loss such as pain and suffering and loss of consortium. With all the evidence, we can calculate your current and future pain and suffering to obtain the compensation to which you are entitled.
If you have been injured in a crash involving a large truck, you want an attorney with the experience, knowledge, and track record to recover fair compensation for your injuries and related damages. Coluccio Law will build a compelling case and put you on the strongest footing for gaining results. As an experienced truck accident lawyer firm, we will know well how to prove liability taking into account the many variables involved in your truck crash case.
Recommended Article: Choosing the Best Semi-Truck Accident Lawyer