When you’ve been in an accident involving a truck, you may be confused about how exactly truck accident settlements and verdicts work.
Because car accidents involving trucks are often severe, trucks typically have commercial coverage of at least one million dollars. As 18-wheelers generally have many policies of insurance coverage, 18-wheeler accident settlements will typically take care of your medical expenses in addition to any non-economic damages.
Accepting a settlement instead of going to trial can lead to lower compensation. However, a trial is often much more stressful and time-consuming.
If you or a family member are suffering from the repercussions of a truck accident and are considering commercial truck accident settlements, this page will provide an overview of truck accident lawsuit settlements and verdicts.
Factors Affecting Truck Accident Settlements and Verdicts
How the accident has affected you determines the actual settlement amounts of truck accidents. The range of factors that affect the commercial vehicle accident settlement comes in two categories: Economic and Non-economic.
- Economic Damages – Economic damages refer to monetary losses.
- Non-economic Damages – Non-economic damages are non-monetary losses such as emotional distress that have an estimated value.
Recommended Article: Roadway Safety – Semi-Truck Accidents
Considered Factors for Truck Accident Settlement Amounts
Due to the various factors affecting a settlement amount, the average settlement for a commercial vehicle accident is challenging to estimate. The average settlement for dump truck accidents will depend on the nature of the accident. Here are some factors that will help determine your truck accident settlement amount.
Disabilities and Injuries
A truck accident may leave you with short-term injuries or permanent disabilities. The severity of your sustained injuries will affect your compensation.
Lost Wages and Income
After being involved in an accident, you might not be able to return to work. Your compensation will include your lost wages and income.
When determining your commercial truck accident settlement, insurance will review the cost of your medical treatments.
Timeline of Treatments
The timeline of your medical treatment and length of recovery will affect how much your compensation is.
Helpful Reading: Steps to Take When Involved in a Semi-Truck Crash
Damages Recovered From Truck Accident Settlements And Verdicts
You may be suffering financial losses if you’ve been injured in a truck accident. There are various damages you may recover from truck accident settlements and verdicts, including:
- Past, Present, and Future Medical Costs – Whether you require present or future medical care, insurance may compensate you for your medical bills.
- Property Damage – In addition to any injuries, damages to your car or other property may be severe. You can recover compensation for any property damage involved in the accident.
- Pain and Suffering – Being involved in a truck accident can be traumatic. If you’ve suffered emotional or physical distress from an accident, you can seek compensation.
- Lost Wages and Diminished Earning Capacity – A truck accident may leave you unable to attend work. You can recover your lost wages and obtain disability benefits if you’re disabled.
- Permanent Disability or Disfigurement – Depending on the nature of the accident, you may have permanent disabilities. You can recover compensation for your required medical care.
Helpful Reading: How do Concrete Trucks Cause Accidents
Common Injuries from Truck Accidents
Accidents involving trucks can result in severe damage to all cars involved. Common injuries from truck accidents include:
- Back and Neck Injuries – Though back and neck injuries can range from minor pain to debilitating injuries, these types of injuries can prevent the victim from returning to their everyday lifestyle.
- Head Injuries – Head injuries are some of the most severe injuries you can sustain from a truck accident, often causing loss of motor functions.
- Wrongful Death – Accidents involving trucks are more likely to cause fatalities than other cars, so contacting an experienced attorney will help file a wrongful death claim.
Helpful Reading: What is Considered a Commercial Vehicle
Truck Accidents Verdicts – Coluccio Law
At Coluccio Law, our truck accident lawyers have worked hard to represent several clients successfully.
Here are some of our firm’s top truck accident settlements and verdicts:
- $2,940,000 – Kevin Coluccio successfully represented the surviving spouse of a woman hit and killed by a dump truck trailer.
- $2,500,000 – Kevin Coluccio represented the family of a truck driver that had experienced a vehicle crash due to a defective retread tire.
- $1,850,000 – Coluccio Law represented the family of a University of Washington professor killed when logs fell off a commercial logging truck and struck his vehicle.
Reach Out for Coluccio Law Today!
At Coluccio Law, our team of experienced lawyers has years of successfully representing clients in a range of personal injury cases. If you would like a free consultation or have questions regarding truck accident settlements and verdicts, call our knowledgeable team at (206) 826-8200 today!
Recommended Article: What is a T Bone Accident
Washington Law Help: Helpful information about Washington State Law
CLEAR: Legal advice, assistance and information, also at 1-888-201-1014
Leave A Comment